From Polytech Center Barcelona
- Through genetic analysis, primates thought to evolve in mid-Cretaceous, but landmasses were separated. Lemurs thought to have reached Madagascar through oceanic drift.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HealthCare.gov $2bn website
- Crisis_of_the_Third_Century#Breakdown_of_internal_trade_network: "Made desperate by economic necessity, many of these former city dwellers, as well as many small farmers, were forced to give up hard-earned basic civil rights in order to receive protection from large land-holders. In doing so, they became a half-free class of Roman citizen known as coloni. They were tied to the land, and in later Imperial law, their status was made hereditary. This provided an early model for serfdom, the origins of medieval feudal society and of the medieval peasantry. The decline in commerce between the imperial provinces put them on a path toward increased self-sufficiency. Large landowners, who had become more self-sufficient, became less mindful of Rome's central authority, particularly in the Western Empire, and were downright hostile toward its tax collectors. The measure of wealth at this time began to have less to do with wielding urban civil authority and more to do with controlling large agricultural estates in rural regions since this guaranteed access to the only economic resource of real value — agricultural land and the crops it produced. The common people of the empire lost economic and political status to the land-holding nobility, and the commercial middle classes waned along with their trade-derived livelihoods. The Crisis of the Third Century thus marked the beginning of a long gradual process that would transform the ancient world of Classical antiquity into the medieval one of the Early Middle Ages."
- People gave up civil rights to move to the country and become serfs. Base of power shifted from urban elite to large landowners, who were hostile to central authority of the state. Breakdown of internal trade networks where goods could travel in several weeks from one end of the empire to another. Regions started self producing their own goods.
- Endocannabinoid system#Potential_functions, endogenous cannabis functions: erasing of memories, appetite, immunity, analgesia, sleep.
- Lystrosaurus, 95% of all terrestrial lifeforms at one point. Yet wasn't part of the mammal lineage. Evolution is not a numbers game. Instead minor branch of therapsids became dominant.
- Does this imply that evolution is a volatile game?
- Bone wars, Cope and Marsh's severe rivalry over dinosaur bones wasn't over money. In fact it drove them broke. Good example of competition principle. Also see: competition for marketshare in Japan (Princes of Yen) where firms drove themselves to ruin even.
- Crohns, the chronic inflammation of Crohn's is caused when the adaptive immune system tries to compensate for a deficient innate immune system.
- Innate immune system is an older evolutionary defense strategy, relatively speaking, and is the dominant immune system response found in plants, fungi, insects, and primitive multicellular organisms.
- Battle_of_Ramree_Island#Crocodile_attack, The scattered rifle shots in the pitch black swamp punctured by the screams of wounded men crushed in the jaws of huge reptiles ... Of about one thousand Japanese soldiers that entered the swamps of Ramree, only about twenty were found alive.